Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Falcon Update: Chris Jones, Youth, Hot Seats

Three things for a Tuesday leading up to the opener.

Dave Hackenberg of The Blade did a nice piece of Falcons d-lineman Chris Jones.  Best detail of the piece: that when BG practices long passes, they take Jones out because otherwise he gets to the QB and nothing gets done.

Which is nice, except, you know, once in a while we might practice blocking him.  Anyway, the story also says that NFL scouts are coming by to see Jones during Fall practice, so that will be interesting to watch as well.

One thing I keep harping on is that this Falcon team is still young.  Not AS young as last year, but young.  In fact, the game notes for Florida indicate that Phil Steele says BG has the 10th youngest roster in college football.  I just think we need to keep things in perspective...this is not a senior-dominated team.

And with THAT in mind, one last thing.  I'm picking up some stuff from the MAC Blogosphere that people feel like Dave Clawson is on the hot seat this year.  Let me just say that I don't think he is, for the reasons listed above.  Now, if the team goes 0-12, that's something different, but I think Clawson has until the end of 2013 to show he has the program going in the right direction.

I think that for a bunch of reasons, one of which is that I think its fair.  Also, he has a contract, and we don't buy contracts out lightly.  Yeah, thanks, I do remember Gregg Brandon, but there were off the field issues as well with him.  The football program has a record high APR and is getting better along the lines that the Coach told us to expect, and I think Clawson's seat is 0% hot.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Agreed regarding Clawson's job security in 2012.