Sunday, August 14, 2005

Falcons in Preseason NFL Football

Big day yesterday for Cole Magner. Cole caught two passes for 34 yards, and returned two punts for 43 yards--one for 21 and one for 22. Check these quotes out from Mr. Vick.

Q: How would you rate the effectiveness of the passing game against a tough secondary?
Vick: They have a pretty tough secondary, but we tried some different pass concept this week, some things we didn't do last week. With a different game plan you'll get different results. Roddy White had a good game. I think some of the other guys. Cole Magner had a great catch, did some good things. We have some things to learn from. That's what we have to come back and do this week watch some film and really critique it and pick out the thins we can do even better next week and try to learn from it.

"What are your impressions of Cole Magner?
Vick: Cole looked good. He's been impressive throughout the entire training camp. We're very excited about him. He's a guy who goes out and catches the ball with no gloves on, straight hands, so you have to respect that. He's a playmaker. I've been watching him the last month and a half and critiquing him. I think he's going to make this football team."

Let me say this. Cole is going to make that football team--at least on the practice squad, and I believe on the main roster. He's a player, and you can't always measure that with a stopwatch. He just has the mental ability to get himself where he needs to be, and look easy doing it. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Here's what Cole had to say.

Wide receiver Cole Magner on his play on offense and special teams:
"I had some great blocking out there on the returns and I just ran my routes and Ty game me some great balls to catch. I'm confident in my abilities and coaches put me out there and they trust me to do the right job. I just go out there and do what I'm supposed to do."

Magner on where he sees himself fitting into the Falcons roster:
"Anywhere I can help the team. If it's special teams and that's my job, that's what I'll do. Or if it's as a backup receiver, that's what I'll do. I'll do anything."
Magner on if playing in the wide-open Bowling Green offense helped him:
"It's helped a lot. A lot of the calls we had at Bowling Green are exactly the same as they are here. Personnel is different, but the calls and terminology is the same."
On a more disappointing note, Josh Harris didn't have a very good game for the Browns. Reports say he is struggling in the practices, and he got only one series on the field, where he completed no passes, though one was dropped. He did run for a first down, bringing back some memories. I really worry that the Browns are going to cut Josh. I hope he at least clings to the practice roster and someday gets another shot. Or, that I'm wrong, and things are going OK for him and he makes the club. But it didn't look like that.

Everyone assumes Scott M. will make the Chargers.

No comments :